This article called “Top 10 in 2010: Legal Risks Facing Nonprofit Boards” discusses seven of the ten risks presented at a conference sponsored by BoardSource. All board members of nonprofit organizations should read this article.
Corporate Law Report: ”According to the National Center for Charitable Statistics, there are more than 1.5 million nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations operating in the United States, from charities to industry associations to religious institutions. But whatever their structure or purpose, such organizations need to understand – and respond to – key legal and regulatory issues that are unique to not-for-profits. For your reference, here are five areas that require ongoing attention (and legal understanding) by nonprofits“
The five legal issues discussed in the article are:
1. Lobbying and Political Campaigning:
2. Tax Compliance and IRS Activism
3. Employees, Interns and Volunteers
4. Privacy and Data Security
5. Licensing and Intellectual Property Licensing and Intellectual Property